It’s my first instant pot recipe! HOORAY!
I will admit, it’s taken me longer to really get the hang of using this machine than I expected. I’ve tried a bunch of recipes and most have turned out awesome. Getting the timing right for things like soft-boiled eggs, steaming artichokes, cooking sweet potatoes (whole) have been battles. And I’ve been nervous to try anything on my own without following instructions.
But I started easy with a hard-to-screw-up soup recipe. And it turned out so well!!! It took me about 35 minutes (only about 10 of which were hands-on) to make a soup that tastes like it’s been slow cooked.
Oh yeah, and it’s actually healthy. Unlikelast week’s recipe.
If you don’t have an instant pot or pressure cooker, you can make this in the slow cooker!It will obviously just take longer (I haven’t tried it, but I’d expect 3 hours on low would be sufficient.)
I am actually posting this recipe the DAY I made it. Which I pretty much never do. But I have actually not been in the mood to cook much lately (which happens to me every now and then) so I procrastinated getting a blog recipe ready. But here’s how awesome and easy this recipe was: I spent about 5 minutes chopping stuff and setting up the soup this morning while I was getting ready for work. Set the Instant Pot to do its thing. Then I took the Instant Pot insert out, stuck its glass lid on, and put it in the fridge. When I got home from work, all I had to do was puree and reheat.
I totally forgot about the Instant Pot’s delayed start setting which I kind of wish I’d tested. You could do the same morning prep but set up a delay start so that it starts cooking just before you get home from work.
Like I said, still gotta figure out how to maximize this machine’s capabilities.
Anyhow, here’s the recipe!!!
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1/2 large white onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 C vegetable broth
- 1 TThai seasoning(you could just sub with some ginger, lemongrass, and a small pinch of crushed red pepper if you don't have this mix.)
- 2 T sriracha*
- salt to taste
- *You'll add more to taste after it's done cooking. If you want.
- Peel and cube the sweet potatoes. Roughly chop the onion. Crush and peel the garlic. Then throw everything into your Instant Pot. Set it to pressure cook on high for 15 minutes. When it's done cooking, use the quick release to release the steam.
- 泥一切(如果你没有一个immersion blender phobia like me, that would be perfect for this recipe and make it even easier.) Taste and add salt and sriracha as desired.
- Top with cilantro and serve with some crispy sourdough bread!